Thursday, February 08, 2007

Free time

So what are you doing with your free time, other than prayer? I'm enjoying one of my favorite things: OPERA!

I'm a huge fan of Joan Sutherland.

The first and third clips below are from her later years, when age had matured her voice into a rich ink grade port. Dame Sutherland has been singing since the 1940's.

This YouTube journey began because I was trying to find a clip of Les Oiseaux Dans la Charmille for my friend Michael. I never dreamed that fans would have found old recordings of Dame Sutherland's voice and published them to the web. Heaven!

The first clip is her version of this very complex song. The vibrato is a fanciful technique that many modern opera singers can't pull off with style. Dame Sutherland is a true coloratura soprano, a mistress of opera who's as at home with Les Oiseaux as she is with the role of Queen of the Night in Mozart's Die Zauberflote. She has a high range and can pull off elaborate ornamentation and embellishment, including running passages and trills.


Joan Sutherland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia










0 comments: